9.02.2005

3. The Band

Release: 1969 (Capitol, bastards who don’t document the release date on their records)

Acquisition details: 1993 or 94, in Chapel Hill (Skylight Exchange), during an effort to collect “canonical” pop music (esp. Christgau’s list).

Hain’t listened to in seven or eight years, prolly. I started out thinking: purty good faux Americana, though the chorus of “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,” certainly turns an interesting beginning into a drag. The subject matter of this record lies somewhere in a mythical borderland containing both the Old South and the Wild West, hey, maybe Arkansas, since the only real American in The Band came from there. At least that’s the gist of the sound (pianos that sound like the self-players, mouth harps and whatnot) and the lyrics I hear, though I’m certainly too lazy to really listen hard. But I grew more exhausted of the record as it spun repeatedly; its fakeness began to be as blatant as the lie of the sepia cover photo.

Actually, what can I say that Greil Marcus hasn’t already said, in his interesting yet mystifying (and overwhelmingly personal) explanation of the interconnectedness of all American culture and music in Mystery Train. Say, where is my copy? It wasn’t in the box labeled “Music bks.” Hate to lose the annotated discography in the back. And speaking of Greil, sort of, an amusing snarky comment about an old dorm-mate of mine (Marc Greilsamer: sorry to spill your true name Grill Cheese, but the anecdote requires I do so) who became a music critic since I last saw him (He gave me water and a brownie in Manhattan when I had eaten a Percocet too many [2], and couldn’t stomach the egg plant pizza I’d mistakenly bought; it looked so good layin’ there fried on top, and the batter disguised its vegetable nature). Anyhow, someone was put off by Marc’s “rockist” ballot for the 2003 Pazz and Jop, and called him Greil Marcus’s evil twin.

Mixworthy: n/a

Verdict: I don’t know. I’ve certainly heard it enough for the next half-decade. And who am I kidding, is anyone going to buy back this record with a big tear in the cover?

4 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

Interesting note since I've been feeling like I really need to get some of The Band. I guess I'm about 10 years behind you in my "canonical" effort.

I know what you mean by the fake sound, but I've never really felt that about The Band. It's something that bugs me a bit with Springsteen, but post-WWII music is full of people playing music that was never a part of their lives before they discovered it through recordings, and at least The Band is American playing Americana.

9:08 AM  
Blogger shibumi said...

It is weird that it bugs me, seeing as how I don't really give a rat's ass about authenticity. I guess it's the fact that they want us to believe in the album's realness, via the hokum like the cover shot, though maybe I'm reading too much into their use of first person for the songs' characters, as though they're claiming the personas for themselves.

I'm all for people adopting methods, melodies, and such from past recorded music; its history is so rich in the U.S. there's tons of good material to borrow and mimic. Like I said above, it's the pretense to being like the originators of said music.

Re: Springsteen. Outside the song "Thunder Road," the only music of his that I've liked is the one with the bombastic synthesizer--the signifier of non-authentic--all over the record, Born in the U.S.A.. Gee, I hope that's the name of the album that that song is on.

I really should listen to a Decembrist album, 'cause I've heard they do something similar--though Meloy's mopiness has not inspired immediate investigation. That way I could have a test case to compare with the Band.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed you blog about heart and stroke. I also have a site about heart and stroke which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful invention it is, this thing we call the Internet!

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home