8.22.2005

Records' Records!

A confluence of several events has inspired the resurrection of Fats Durstonia: a completed move; lots of baby care responsibility at home; the fact that our landlords left behind a snazzy record player with a repeat function. (The blog’s neglect has been the fault of a number of time sucks: moving, dissertation, work, baby care, and, most/worst of all, video games.) In blatant imitation of a couple of other blogs (one now on hiatus itself), I’m gonna work through my record collection, in approximate alphabetical order, trying to listen to three or four per week. If you have records, you know that you must keep them in some order, or you’ll never find them via their skinny little labels. So “A’s” are with “A’s,” “B’s” with “B’s,” and so on, but they won’t be strictly alphabetized as that would be more work than I’m willing to put in.

After moving my really heavy record collection (two crates and two boxes), and knowing another move is imminent in 2006, I felt that I really needed to get some more use out of them. Baby-proofing had resulted in the disconnect of speaker wires a few months back, leaving headphones the only viable option for record listening, and everyone knows headphones are for iPod/computer mp3 listening. Although I love my records, though there are certainly a number that could be gotten rid of … and there are a few I’ve never heard all the songs on (Tonio K, I’m lookin’ at you). Each record will get the dignity of at least one full listen through, maybe more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Reid said...

Good to have you back, and congratulations on the move. This'll be a fun project to watch.

What video games have you been hooked on? Maybe I shouldn't know, since you're the one who got me hooked on that evil, evil Warcraft.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home