2.24.2005

Learning about me through what I consume, pt 2 (00s)

Another list making the music blogger rounds is a response to Pitchfork's Best-hundred-albums-of-the-first-half-of-aughties. The ones I've seen run fifty LPs in length. I came up with four.

A
Drive-By Truckers, Decoration Day (2003)
Fanny Pack, So Stylistic (2003)
The Moldy Peaches (2001)
White Stripes, Elephant (2003)

These are records (er, um, digital configurations) that I listened to over and over all the way through, and pushed on anyone with willing ears
. None suffers from more than a couple of dud tracks. Fannypack even had a skit that inspired repeat listening: "Bunnies." Elephant's crunching gitars got me through rough stretches in Tanzania.

The small number is partly a function of being unable to keep up. There's still piles of good music from the past I gotta find, so that commands a bunch of my listening time. In the past decade I've also changed my listening habits, preferring genre compilations (thanks, Rhino) to individual artists' records; bands tend to run out of interesting ideas over the course of a long-player, particularly in the age of the CD. Finally, I just got me one of them there iPod gewgaws, meaning of course the death of the LP.

A-/B+
(a goodly percentage of worthy songs, or one stellar "side")
Exploding Hearts, Guitar Romantic (2002)
Hives, Veni Vidi Vicious (2000)
Steve Malkmus
(2001)
White Stripes, De Stijl (2001)

Under Consideration (Could move up with more listening time)
!!!, Louden Up Now (2004)
50 Cent, Get Rich or Die Tryin' (2003)
Basement Jaxx, Rooty (2001)
Bow-Wow, Doggy Bag (2001)
Bubba Sparxxx, Deliverance (2003)
The Crystal Method, Tweekend (2001)
Drive-By Truckers, Southern Rock Opera (2001)
The Eminem Show
The Faint, Danse Macabre (2001)
The Futureheads (2004)
Hives, Tyrannosaurus Hives (2004)
Jet, Get Born (2003)
Liars, They Threw Us All In A Trench ... (2001)
Libertines, Up the Bracket (2001)
The Mountain Goats, We Shall All Be Healed (2004)
The Postal Service, Give Up (2003)
The Rapture, Echoes (2003)
Amy Rigby, The Sugar Tree (2001) and 'Til the Wheels Fall Off (2004)
Scissor Sisters (2004)
The Streets, Original Pirate Material (2001)

and then there's them what I ain't heard...


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good records, what I know of 'em. I especially approve of that Moldy Peaches. I'd like to see Up the Junction move up, but c'est la sumpin'.

Bold anyone?Cool site!

10:25 PM  
Blogger fats durston said...

Hey, them's what records you give me! (If you mean the Libertines...)

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duh. I do mean Up the Bracket. Up the Junction is a whole 'nother ball of wax!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home